Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fix to garbled display on booting Ubuntu 12.04 on Dell Vostro 470

Trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on Dell Vostro 470 gave me all kinds of trouble! At first, the graphical installer did NOT work, so I had to try the text-based installer (aka alternate installer). It was successful, but then I had to manually install the ubuntu-desktop package since I had no desktop installed! Not to mention that I was only able to log in to the system using the Recovery mode from GRUB menu. The default mode was giving me a garbled screen similar to this one, and I could never log into my system.

To fix the garbled display problem, I did what was advised on this page, by changing the kernel command line from 'quiet splash' to 'nomodeset':

1)Edit: /etc/default/grub
Change:
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"

2) Update GRUB by:
sudo update-grub

Now I can log in to my system from the default entry on GRUB!

No comments: